What is Anchor Link?
Anchor link also known as anchor text or anchor tag, it’s a clickable text that will link to a specific point on the same page. Anchor link is one type of internal links which is good for SEO. Adding anchor links not only can enhance reader experience but also rank higher in search engines.
The most common usage of anchor links is creating a table of content, if you are looking for how to creating table of contents, I also made a tutorial here.
How to Create Anchor Links in WordPress?
1. Switch from “Visual” mode to “Text” mode.
2. <a name=””></a> Remember this code or simply copy it. Type the name you want to be linked to between two quotation marks, for instance, I want to be linked to step 19, so I named it 19, and my code will be <a name=”19″></a>. The name won’t affect your link, as long as you remember it.
3. Locate the point you want to be linked to and paste your code.
4. Switch back to “Visual” mode you will see a small anchor icon.
5. Highlight the text you want to add link and click the “Insert/edit link” icon.
6. Click “Link options”.
7. In the URL box, enter the name of your anchor and add # before that, in this example my anchor’s name is 19, so I typed #19 in the URL box. After that, hit “Add Link”. Since you want it to link to the same page, don’t select “Open link in a new tab”.
8. Update your post and you are good to go!